Sunday, October 23, 2005

Headed Back for a Second Tour

After much thought, consideration and an excessive amount of frustration, I've decided to return to New Orleans for a second pet rescue mission.

Most rescuers who have been to New Orleans in the past few months will tell you that returning home was the hardest part of the trip. The separation is immediate and intense, and often marked by difficulty sleeping, eating and relating to others. Sleep is hard to come by when your mind is ablaze with images of the animals you couldn't save and rampant with visions of the ones who are still out there, waiting to be saved. It is hard, and most everyone returns home with a burning desire to go back to the devastated area again.

Still, you try to focus on the good things, and not let yourself get too tightly wound around the bad. You wear the rescue shirt loosely, knowing that the the good you did will have a domino effect, even if unseen by you, and that many good things will come of it. And constantly, you tell yourself that furry little lives were changed and bettered for the work you've done.

However, when the major rescue groups pulled out of NOLA (New Orleans, LA) and it became clear that there were still over a thousand animals trapped inside homes (with barely a skeleton crew of rescuers), I was struck again with the frustration of not being there to help. For many of the rescuers who had already given up time and money to help save animals in New Orleans in the preceding weeks, a second trip was not an option. My choice of careers makes my lifestyle more flexible than most, and therefore makes me a more optimal candidate to return. Still, making the decision to return comes at a considerable price financially, and it was one I had to weigh very, very carefully. Any day I am not in California is a day I don't get paid...be it from acting, substitute teaching or tutoring. Having already missed 3+ weeks of work, I had to measure every dollar in order to make another week-long trip happen.

But in the end, the idea of the animals suffering and slowing starving to death forced my hand. It was a personal decision, and one I know I will not regret. To me, saving even one animal is worth it. You can't put a price on saving a pet's life.

There are so many animals out there in dire need right now. Time is not on their side, but some will survive anyhow. I encourage everyone to find a way to help. If you can go there--even if you have no prior rescue experience--please find a way to make that happen as quickly as possible. If you can not, please make it possible for someone else to go on your behalf. Lives are at stake and you can help make a difference.

If you are interested in going to NOLA to help and need information, please feel free to contact me directly. If you would like to donate to our upcoming mission, or to the medical expenses of the animals we have already rescued and are being treated, please click on the "Make A Donation" link on the left side of this page.

1 Comments:

Blogger CAT said...

Hi jessica-

I'm not there just yet...I will be there on Saturday. It is killing me to wait even that long.

The good thing about this experience, despite its difficulties, is that you get to be involved with people who really do want to just do good in the world. That's so rare (for most of us, anyway) and has given me reassurance in humankind again.

Whatever your decision, it's great to know that you lent your kind heart to the cause too.

I'll look at your blog when i get a second!
Cat

10:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home